Friday, June 02, 2006

Lough Corrib mayfly trip painting started...




I eventually got into the studio yesterday. I went in raring to go, looking forward to attacking my large canvas, 4ft X 3ft, only to find it wouldn't take paint. The priming coat was repelling the oils. I spent the day re-priming the expensive canvas, that should not have needed any preparation. Therefore little work done other than 'blocking in. Today I had a meeting accompanying the Angling Club Secretary in the morning, so was late getting to the studio, however when I did eventually get there I found the work went well so in fact I am as advanced as I would have been with a full day as I need to let the work dry. I am painting from this study of Lough Corrib.. a view from Ardnasilla towards Inishcash and Malachy's Island.



This is todays progress....not really that far advanced, but in actual fact quite a bit of painting has been done to the sky and distance as you can see in the detail. The mountains in the distance tend to appear and dissapear naturally depending on the light/weather. While I was painting the study they appeared out of no-where-over the period of half an hour, by the time I had painted them in, they were fading into the sky fast...that is one of the problems with the west of Ireland...the light is constantly changing as is the landscape.....It is dificult to paint at times..but it is easy to see why it is almost magical, it does a dissapearing act constantly! LOL.


I will be working on the painting tommorrow, so I should be able to give a further update....I will leave with 2 photos of the scene....one the tree, the other the view...obviously the tree was moved for the study..

Sorry....no pics appearing.I'll try later...






















No comments: